About Me

Friday, February 5, 2016

Hit Me With Your Best Pot

Loose leaf tea is known for being higher quality tea that's fresh and flavourful. Did you know that the 4 main types of tea, white, green, black and oolong, all come from the same plant called Camellia sinensis, which is a warm- weather evergreen? These teas are different in taste based on the parts of the plant being used and the way the leaves have been processed.

Each type of tea has unique instructions for preparation. When buying loose leaf tea there will be a label on the product that states the optimal temperature of the water, amount of tea used per cup and the steeping time to ensure your tea turns out great.

An example of a tea label and an amazing Teavana tea 
I suggest you follow these guidelines if you are just starting to use loose leaf tea. Tea can turn out bitter, too weak or too strong if the instructions aren’t followed and can ruin your opinion of a wonderful tea. I can’t count how many times I have forgotten to take my tea infuser out in time and ruined my tea. Once you start to make it more often and know how strong you like certain teas, it gets easier. The Tea Association of Canada has come out with a general steeping chart for you to refer to if you are ever unsure of how to steep a type of tea.  
Steeping Instructions
Tea Type
Preparation
White
80°C / 185°F
(Steep 2-5 min)
Green
80°C / 185°F
(Steep 1-3 min)
Oolong
80°C / 185°F
(Steep 2-3 min)
Black
100°C / 212°F
(Steep 4 min)
Herbal
100°C / 212°F
(Steep 3-6 min)

For those of you without a programmable kettle, there are other ways of determining the temperature of the water. The Traditional Chinese method being the most extensive and comprehensive method. There are 5 different stages of boiled water which are: Shrimp Eyes, Crab Eyes, Fish Eyes, Rope of Pearls and Raging Torrent. Golden Moon Tea has an article with helpful pictures of each of the stages.

10 comments:

  1. I learned from you about The Traditional Chinese method for steeping loose leaf even I am a Chinese. I did not know that when I was in China. I appreciate you give a good lesson how to steep different kinds of loose leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like drinking tea for loosing weight. I always carry my bottle filled with green tea because that's supposed to be good for it, but I'm not sure how effective is it. Maybe you can write something about that topic, I'll be glad to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! I will put that on the list for a future post!

      Delete
  3. Hi Katie,

    As a non-tea-drinker, I found this post very interesting. I didn't know there were different stages for the temperature of boiled water. Maybe you can create a post for tea-beginners, or for those who don't drink tea and should start. I know for one, I have no idea what kind of tea, or flavour I would start with!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I'm glad you found this interesting. I just did a post on tea recommendations from David's Tea. Maybe there will be something from that post that could help you find a tea you like! Thank you for your suggestions!

      Delete
  4. I've never been a coffee drinker, so tea is the natural default. I didn't know such instructions existed for preparing tea, so that could explain why I often end up with a bitter cup. I'll definitely pay closer attention to what I'm doing now. Thanks Katie!
    P.S. I love the title of this post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those temperatures are super useful, wish more places paid attention. So often you go to a place and get burnt tea, and it blows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been telling all my friends about Shrimp Eyes and Fish Eyes.

    ReplyDelete